As the spring semester at Ashford University came to a close, students, faculty, and staff gathered to celebrate the accomplishments of the 2014-2015 academic year. During the Spring 2015 Awards and Recognition Ceremony, held on April 23, the following students received awards:
- Tanner Courtney (Mount Pleasant, Iowa) - Sister Phyllis Morris Service Award, recognizing the initiative, achievement, and excellence of students involved in service learning at the University.
- Taylor Ward (Clinton, Iowa) - Office of Student Access and Wellness Award, given to a student who has overcome challenges and barriers by seeking out and utilizing resources within the Ashford University community as well as in the community at large.
- Travis Gorsch (Marengo, Iowa); Lee Michael Hughes (Conwy, UK); Quinn Callista Rear (Verona, Wisc.); and Andres Vernazza (Montevideo, Uruguay) - Business Scholar’s Award, presented to the graduates within the business administration major who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of academics, service, co-curricular, and extra-curricular activities as determined by the faculty members.
- Ryan Hilton (Burlington, Wisc.) - Iowa Society of Certified Public Accountants (ISCPA) Student Award, presented for “excellence in accounting” to students at Iowa’s colleges, universities, and community colleges by the ISCPA Career Awareness Committee.
- Alison Brokaw (Walnut, Ill.) and Haley Janae Westerkamp (Blue Grass, Iowa) - Academic Excellence in Psychology Award, given to psychology graduates who have exhibited distinguished performance in the psychology curriculum and in preparation for a career in psychology.
- Jose Ivan Solis Cruz (Chicago, Ill.) - Science Academic Excellence Award, recognizing a student with an outstanding academic record pursuing a science major.
- Kathryn L. Nesseler (Rock Island, Ill.) - Mathematics Academic Excellence Award, recognizing a student with an outstanding academic record pursuing a mathematics major.
- Jaleesa R. Prince (Clinton, Iowa) - Healthcare and Health Science Academic Award, recognizing a graduate in either healthcare administration or health science administration having an outstanding academic achievement.
- Brian Joseph Bocskovits (Milan, Ill.) and Joshua Thomas Wehde (Clinton, Iowa) - James Mooney Social Science Award, recognizing the social science graduates with the highest grade point average.
- Chelsea Picken (Tremont, Ill.) and Ashley Marie Burns (Milford, Ill.) - Joan Walsh Richeson Award, given to the liberal arts major who best personifies the values of a liberal arts education.
- Mallory Marie Casel (Maquoketa, Iowa) - Alex Esquivel Promising Teacher Award, given to a graduating future teacher who exemplifies the characteristics of enthusiasm for learning; dedication to teaching; a spirit of joyful service; and perseverance through challenges.
- Patrick John Macaione (Norridge, Ill.) - Sister Marilyn Shea Outstanding Dispositions Award, given to the graduating future teacher who exemplifies the dispositions of teaching: reflection, professional conduct, respect for diversity, high expectations, respect for others, compassion, advocacy, curiosity, dedication, honesty, and fairness.
Also recognized during the event were the spring 2015 graduates, students who were on the fall 2014 dean’s list, Flavian Center student tutors, participants in the 2014-15 Research and Creative Works Fair, and members and advisors of Ashford’s academic clubs and organizations.
About Ashford University
Where heritage meets innovation – that’s Ashford University. At Ashford, students discover relevant degree programs, innovative technology, and cherished tradition. Ashford offers associates, bachelor’s, and master’s online degree programs, while the Clinton, Iowa campus offers bachelor’s programs. Whether on campus or online, Ashford students enjoy the same supportive community. For more information, please visit www.ashford.edu, www.facebook.com/ashforduniversity, www.twitter.com/AshfordU, or call Shari Winet, Vice President of Public Relations, at 858.513.9240 x2513.